Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Be a Busy Beaver!

I partially blame this 70s book for it all!

“Living up to your potential” was a catchphrase I heard often as a student in grammar school. Usually the more younger teachers were the ones to utter that. The teachers who were over forty at the time couldn't give a damn if you did or not, as long as you made a C- in their class. But they were from the WW2 generation and “making the cut” was all that was required in the Army and all that was needed in life.

“Making the cut” was and is military phrase. The command would need say, twenty people for a particular task, they'd get the aptitude tests out, count down twenty of the top performers, lay a ruler down on the paper and tear the paper at the twentieth person.

I suppose there are theories in education that have their day, like fashion, and then drift away, like the old Rinehart penmanship system.

Did I live up to my potential in school? Hell no. It was too much effort for too little gain. I had no problem in school as I liked it and received better than usual grades. I could ace tests if I wanted too, but that required spending more time studying vs. watching and dreaming about Kristy McNichol on TV. I had various teachers try to motivate me to to EXCELL each time. At times I'd do it just to placate them, but I took no great sense of success or profit from it. Like most kids, I enjoyed any verbal praise from a teacher or adult, but it was just that, verbal. It wasn't long lasting nor at times sincere. So I gave the teacher a few A's and shut them up, then back to a more pleasant pace of walking than Olympic style marathons where the “gold medal” wasn't really such a great gain.

I once said before I was a B+/A- student while my brother was one of those who was A+ most of the time. The motivation? Dad. He wanted to please him. He managed to keep those grades till he attended Providence College and discovered off-campus parties and the such. Even with that, his grades suffered just enough to lose the summa cum laude to the demotion to magnum cum laude upon graduation.

From what I saw, those “living up to their potential” all had a air of desperation to them. There were a very few who had excellent grades and that nonchalance. Those people were naturally gifted Einsteins anyway and didn't expend much to achieve success as it was easy for them. You've seen that nonchalant look. Imagine a trust fund 20-something in Newport, living the easy life with that air of “It doesn't matter what I do, Dad's money will always be there anyway.” The others, who weren't born with rich, wealthy brains, but a chance to succeed, had to slog it out and became haggard looking for doing so. They had to work at it.

I would occasionally see them fret when they received “just an A” on a test. I think I could see them replaying the chewing out from their parents they'd get for failing to achieve perfection of A+.

Some of those kids I knew then I hear about today. What did their nose grinding efforts get them? It got them to comfortable middle class and that's it. Oddly enough most of them work in the civilian sector of defense. A few I've spoken with are sick of the constant budget pressures or deadline demands. I swear I can almost hear them think at times, “Hey, I was a National Honor Student, I should've had an easier time at life!” Nope my friend, you're going to be squeezed like the productive sponge that you are to your employer at General Dynamics.


I on the other hand took a different track. I chose social services and ended up in comfortable middle class as well. In either case, maintaining 100% or just 80% of your potential still won't get you remembered for eternity. There will be no parades for your efforts on Main St when your long since gone.  


Of course, this clip helps too,click away!

No comments:

Post a Comment