Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Disco Sucks!

 
 
Soul Train Logo




...or as my brother used to call it, “Soul Bus.”


I can pinpoint the month when all of radio sucked. That was February 1978. Every station in this area had switched over to Disco. The only other FM stations available were classical or some odd parallel broadcast of AM talk radio. 94HJY hadn't been born yet and WAAF out of Worcester barely came in. It was a dark time.


We had on the latest stereo system, a Radio Shack Realistic where you spun the dial and the needle would go up and down the radio spectrum. There was channel surfing even then. I can remember, sitting in disgust trying to find something. I'd eventually settle for the least offensive disco song and try, try to groove out to that.


“Groove out to that...” God, I still speak in 70's lingo sometimes. I still even say, “Can you dig it?”



 
 
Soul music was born in Motown, which was enjoying a resurgence in the early to mid 70's after all the doo-wop bands had run their course in the 60's. WPRO which has always played Top 40 Chick music, played soul constantly. I know, it was of the few stations that came on my pocket radio. I'd get my balls busted for listening to it if out in the street with my friends. I'd then demand to find a station that came in that had music, besides f'ing 55 WGNG.


The TV show Soul Train used to come on after the cartoon line up on Saturday mornings and I'd roll my eyes. Soul Train signaled the dearth of decent TV programming for the rest of the day. But I'd watch it anyway, or at least as background noise. Once in a great while, I'd stop and pay attention to a song I actually enjoyed. What I didn't know then was that this was setting up the Disco invasion once whites started to steal it. (An aside: I have nothing but disdain for Deney Terrio, the MC for Solid Gold. I used to shout at the TV, along with my brother, about what a greasy spaccone he was. God, I can remember his horrid 70's disco haircut, the widow's peak feathered job. “Shut up! You Greaser! Get off the TV!)


So, out of Soul comes Disco...thanks LA recording industry...anything for a buck, right?


Now looking back on it, with some maturity (I hope) many of those songs in Soul genre weren't bad at all. Yes, like all new movements in music, there's a ton of schlock and a few gems, precious few gems. Too bad Soul Train and soul in general was morphed into half a decade of sickening Disco dance music. I was no major lover of New Wave when it came in, but it's greatest feat was to push Disco off the radar screen.


I actually like this song now...and I did then too, even with that Disco beat sneaking in. Like I said, some song were OK by me.



 
Rock Your Baby! Click and Groove!


And if you think I hated Disco..watch this: Disco Demolition Night
 
 
 

 Watch Comiskey Park Lose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment