Thursday, March 10, 2016

Not Even Trying and Nailing It

I finished watching the biopic on the National Lampoon and I liked it, considering I felt the Nat Lamp was my Bible when I was ten years old and on up. What I was reminded of again, was of “heyday,” when you reach your greatest point and have a ton of fun while doing it.



I watched the movie as they chronicled the rise and peak of the Nat Lamp magazine and I swear I was rooting for them as the flick unfolded. I understand why older guys glorify and cheer on younger men in sports, it's great to watch someone or something reach their peak. This can be applied to anything. On this blog I spoke of how I felt about Paul Simon when he struck his prime time and again.



One of the things I do is have an “audio” nightlight. I can keep the stereo on all night long, soft enough to allow sleep but to further enjoy the songs. You know those moments where you're not quite asleep but drifting in that nether world? It probably feels like what Oxycontin is all about. Anyway, listen to music at that point and it's literally “better.” If you play with this, you can set the stage for some dreams that'll be just as good when you finally do slip into unconsciousness.



I did this today and all sorts of songs came on and propelled me to memories in my life when I was batting them out of the park with no effort at all. All in my early 20's. I remembered friends, parties, college, first jobs, small insignificant snapshots where my life was nearly perfect. After waking up I lay there some and enjoyed the pleasant feeling.



“There were many times I reached it.” I thought to myself. You never can rest on your laurels, you can only reach it for a while and then must move on. These periods of your life cannot live forever. The are born, mature and die, just like everything else. But, if you're lucky enough, you can have those times when you win and score big, for a while anyway.



Generally, I can't stand most of newer music that comes out. My theory (and I stand by it) is that we all consider the “best” music to be was what you listened to when you were from 13-25. After that, it's just noise. There may be a few gems along the way but the body of it bites.



However...



I set my stereo to WERS, which is out of Emerson College out of Boston and is nothing but newer music. I once opined here that one reason why I listen to it is because, listening to 60's and 70's mainstream all the time is like a diet of cheeseburgers for months. It does get boring. WERS generally plays some decently crafted new music, along with some dogs that make me go 'yeccch.” But you can't get it perfect all the time, can you?



But as I lay there in bed today, half awake and pleasantly tripping down nostalgia lane about music and scoring big, I realized a second reason why I listen to WERS. I listen to a group of people who are, at this time, are at their pinnacle. There is now, a group, around 18-24, who are riding high. Good for them! They don't know it yet, but probably suspect, that there is nothing they can do that will go wrong. All your faculties are tuned up, your body is lithe and responsive and all else is in congruence too. It's effortless and easy to sink a basket. The talent you always had, be it sports, education, career or just plain living life, is at it's best. Do you remember that feeling? Shit, I did this morning.



So, I have another reason to listen to music written and performed by “kids” of that age group.



Do I pine away to be that age again? Sure, but not for too long. I do know that at that age you are also quite inexperienced, you are always learning, making some massive mistakes and stumbling into this and that, because you don't know yet. The anxiety of your own future tugs at you too. Career? Marriage? Kids? What is it that I really want? All those things are in the realm of that age group. What's great about being that age is that you are made out of rubber, life can whack the hell out of you because of some damn fool thing you did, but you can bounce back.



What did I worry about then? Easy, what every other 20 something quietly wrestled with.



“Does she like me?”



“Should I tell her that I like her...alot!”



“I have two job offers...which one? If I take the wrong one...I might be set on a path that sucks?!”



“A masters? A CAGS degree...perhaps none at all?



“What if my goals aren't attained, because I was shoved out of the way by life?”



“I really don't understand a lot of what people do or say...why can't I find their motivation and source for all that shit?”



All these things were due to not having experience. Now, that I have it, life is easier. Gone is that apprehension about what may occur. There is confidence about life that I own now that I didn't then. Why? Easy, because it's all practice. You do a million things over and over again till you get it right.



That takes years.



Still, I do glorify those years the kids at Emerson are now enjoying, spending them like water, as they should. I did the same and I can relish in the old feeling of hitting the bullseye w/o even trying.



Watch this...don't get hung up on all the Zen talk. This is what it's like in your 20's when you are nailing it all the time, same as Caine nails the target.  Thank God I had a periods like this. 


Click and Watch


Now my age requires something different from me. Two things I've noticed, mentoring and learning how the past always becomes clearer.


Don't get it? You have to be my age to get it. You'll arrive there and 'get it,' it's inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment