Sunday, July 10, 2011

I Have Many Stories...and I Can't TELL THEM!

I had a great idea to talk about. However, if I did, I’ll be crucified by the few who would know exactly what I’m talking about. The idea was “lushes.”

Hemingway wrote in A Moveable Feast that they used to call Parisian women drunks “poivrottes.” Poivrottes are loose, female rummies . He was referring to the class of people who frequented low life bars like the Cafe des Amateurs just prior to the outbreak of World War II. He specifically said of the bar and crowd that frequented it as “the cesspool of the Rue Mouffetard.” Ernest avoided it like the Plague.

 

And I’m going to stop right here.

*****

In other news, I’m on vacation. It’s probably the first “real” one I’ve had in years. Well, it’s probably the first typical one I’ve had that everyone else in the workaday world gets. What have I done with it so far? The first thing I did was to turn my brain off.

Summer time can afford you the freedom of turning your brain off. Go to the beach for 17 hours with your toes in the sand while sipping a drink and a shift will occur within you. Well, if you’re lucky enough it will. You relax. By the way, it’s not the alcohol that does it either.

Whimsical, carefree and breezy. That’s my idea of a true vacation. It‘s one where you can invoke a certain state of mind.  I was buying a ton of new clothing at the Emerald Square mall today and I was walking and purchasing in an easy lighthearted manner. Even competing with the rest of humanity driving on Route 1 in Attleboro, I was still buoyant. Now compare that with a vacation in Ibiza or the Caymans. A sunny attitude can be had anywhere and it’s probably the only thing that does matter, no matter where you are, doesn’t it?

My sprightliness has returned. I haven’t seen that in a long while. I’m going to make an effort to incorporate that…and a few other changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment