Sunday, April 28, 2013

Irish Pubs, A Not So Obvious Cornell University

Carl Sagan Finally Admitting It.


Prairie Fire: any shot that includes the addition of hot sauce.


I watched a younger woman order a tequila with hot sauce shot last night. She downed it w/o any reaction on her face. That's a feat. My eyes would be tearing had I drank that in combination. I guess that's what practice can do for you. The bartender, after a moment, then dares the girl to do a full shot of pure hot sauce. Without hesitation, she accepts the challenge.


She lifts the glass brimming with the sauce and throws it back. Down it went, and no tears, coughing or vomiting. Jesus!


Now I like Tabasco. There is a flavor in it once you get past the screeching pepper burn. It's great on eggs, chicken wings and I kid you not, popcorn. But to drink it? Better men (or women) have gone there and I am far too much a pussy to try!


*****


One of the people I enjoy talking to there is this guy S. Let me describe him. Picture Jesus Christ and Geddy Lee of Rush combined into one person. I don't mean Geddy Lee having the moral strength of Christ, just the looks. Got that? OK. That's S.


What will happen, is that we will engage in conversations about science that most times, annoys the crap out of others at the bar. But we can't help it. We start speaking of this subject and others sort of float away. The two of us have major GEEK streaks in our personalities and regard science as something fairly stunning. Of course you have to talk about it. There's nothing more bizarre than the discoveries and inventions that come from science. The Father of Planetary Exploration, Carl Sagan, was an avid pot head. Try that on for surprises. Imagine that the entire Viking and Voyager missions (to Mars and Jupiter) had their creation as Carl was musing, stoned to his gills, while lying on the grass in his backyard in Utica, NY. He admitted it.


So, S and I will go off on these tangents that only we two are interested in.


Last night, he brought up something I thought was long forgotten, Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. For some reason, we were discussing how to solve the ever occurring problems that life trips you up with. I had told him when I reach an impasse, when direct focus, struggle and grappling doesn't seem to work, I'll shift my focus and let my mind drift on it's own. I'll “feel” my way around, near the problem, but not in direct contact with it. I'll know the answer when I see it. Many times, this will work for me.


S says: “That's just using intuition.”


I say: “Gee...thanks for reminding me that I describe the hell out of things when one word would suffice.”


Then out of the blue, he brings up “gumption” that Pirsig talked about. He paraphrased Pirsig and I thought he was winging it too. That was till this morning when I Googled Pirsig and found out S wasn't pulling this stuff out of his ass. Here's Pirsig's actual paragraph on it all is this:


“I like the word "gumption" because it's so homely and so forlorn and so out of style it looks as if it needs a friend and isn't likely to reject anyone who comes along. I like it also because it describes exactly what happens to someone who connects with Quality. He gets filled with gumption.


A person filled with gumption doesn't sit around dissipating and stewing about things. He's at the front of the train of his own awareness, watching to see what's up the track and meeting it when it comes. That's gumption.


If you're going to repair a motorcycle, an adequate supply of gumption is the first and most important tool. If you haven't got that you might as well gather up all the other tools and put them away, because they won't do you any good.”


The long and short of it? At first, dive into your problem and start, you'll hone your skill as you learn.


S had nailed this the night before. Smart guy. I ought to give him more credit. Leave it to me to overuse my cynicism.


*****


Irish pubs are not just full of potato eating, bomb making, Prot-hating, Irish Republican Army veteran drunks.  Though you can find that. We're so close to Boston and there's plenty of illegal Irish that find their way down here. Some of them have regaled me with stories about Bernadette Devlin. Not just expat Irish from the 70's either but you will find a great swath of different types of people, from all walks of life, in these pubs.


Italians have their food and the whole culture that has sprung up from that. We Irish have our pubs, which can mimic Greek symposiums filled with Irish Plato's and Socrates...and a host of other disciplines, like how to properly use apple wood in a BBQ. I'm not kidding, the depths some of us go to in there over whatever subject can be astounding. Italians do this around a kitchen table, we do it over a pint glass.


Nice Irish Catholic Girls Accosting Someone with an AR-180

No comments:

Post a Comment