Monday, April 21, 2014

My One Time Pets were as Important as your Kid

One obvious thing about being a single guy is that my idea of a “clean” home vs. that of a married female can be pretty different. Then again, I've been inside some married's home and thought to myself, “Gee, my home ain't too bad when compared to this rat's nest.” But overall when it comes to getting a Good House Keeping Seal for neatness, I fail. Then again, I'm a single guy, I can get away with anything! Did you know that you can use your floor as a shelf?

Cleaning a home is boring as hell. There's one reason why I hate it. So as I do it, my mind can devote the “duh-duh” part to the task at hand and I can think of other more entertaining things. Like you, my head does stream of consciousness, it jumps from one subject to another. What came up was a conversation I had in Mansfield a few years back.

M.says to me, “Yeah, I work a lot and they're early hours, but it's for her”. I then say that I understand, that I go out of my way taking care of the dog I have.

“NO! It's NOT the same!” he fires back.

Yeah, he just busted me in a conversation trick we all do to keep on the same wavelength as the other, you agree and claim you understand fully what the other is saying, even if you have zero amount of experience with what he's talking about. You fire off a cheap, white lie to keep the connection.

He was right. I then said, “Yeah, it's true, if my dog were to cost me over $1,000 to save his life, out comes the needle! You M, would blow your entire fortune and retirement on her if she was in that situation. What do I know about that kind of attachment to children?”

We're stuck in our own perspectives 99.99% of the time. Even if we can manage to step into the other guys's shoes and walk a mile, it's a rare occurrence as the automatic, default state of our minds is ME ME ME. I do not disqualify myself from this at all.

Which is why I can stand there sometimes and watch, in amazement, husbands work a zillion hours a week and barely have enough time for themselves. Of course, at that moment, I'm thinking from the ME perspective. “Put out that kind of effort for what?” I think. Then I have to think of the time s I did devote that kind of attention to others. Instead of giving a kid a shot at a decent future, I fought like a cat to keep three family members from slipping over the cliff due to various terminal diseases. In that light, I guess I can understand that dedication, though it was for a losing cause.


So, when I see you parents out there clawing your fingernails bloody trying to get ahead, I have to remind myself why it's done.  



No kids and I can do this.  If I get more motivation I can get that aquarium into the shed and possibly get that wool battle jacket off the banister.  That thing near the ceiling is a skyline diffuser...No wife would allow me to disfigure the living room with such ugliness, but I have to break up standing waves.  The stereo is paramount! 

No comments:

Post a Comment