Wednesday, April 2, 2014

You Can Hear Them by the Hundreds

I heard peeper toads today at sunset, finally. This is the first harbinger of spring really for me. Sure, the robins return but they don't follow a set schedule, the peepers are better at that. Very few people have seen a peeper and neither have I. They're tiny, shy and disappear soon after the first warm days of spring to do whatever peepers do under the leaf litter. The other sign is skunk cabbage, which pokes it's disgusting head out of the mud of marshes early on. You don't want to get too close to a skunk cabbage for the reason it's named. Up close they reek to God Almighty. But I have to acknowledge the fact these bizarre things are another sign.

Winter. Each one that passes I always say “I'm done with it.” There are the obvious physical pressures you have to deal with but the mental tension of chronic cold and snow are worse. After taking out the heavier clothing, re-learing to walk on craggy ice and the quiet bitching I do is all I can do to endure it. I can deal with winter but the defenses to it aren't healthy. Hiding and escaping under a quilt at night, copping out of a social event due to “ah, it's too cold to go out” and generally rolling up like a squirrel in his nest does nothing to keep me united with the rest of humanity.

One winter I once saw a nest of field mice accidentally uncovered by some EPA men at the woods bordering my town who were surveying the river banks. There were three tiny balls of grey fur, slightly stiff and cold. Once exposed to the sunlight they started to stir slightly. In a way I understood how they felt. Hunker down and survive!

But, spring is here now.

As a teen, young man in my 20's spring was a huge relief. It helped to uncover my energy and optimism. And then there were the girls, who tossed off those layers of clothing and now sported stuff that showed those all alluring curves. Life has returned.

“Spring is one, giant, big fuck.” This was said to the entire class of Biology 101 at the Life Sciences building at RIC one time. I sat in attendance while the gray hair professor tried to connect and explain to his class how life on Earth responds to spring. “The first thing is to produce energy producing leaves, the next is to sperm the entire atmosphere with pollen to awaiting flowers!” This analogy wasn't lost on the 19 year olds in the classroom.

It was never a pilgrimage of mine but it became one incidentally. I would walk around the East Side by Brown and RISDI on warm days and eventually come to the “beach” by Waterman and Benefit. These grassy commons had people lying out, playing Frisbee and I'd stop by, to gawk at people and peruse the girls from behind my knockoff Raybans. All the time warmed by that sun. It was very relaxing.

Soon enough my windows and doors will be open all day to let that breeze in. Music will waft from my stereo to the street. I can stop wearing the now ragged (and possibly slightly stinky) sheepskin sweater/jacket I have on while in this house. In enough time, I'll be barefoot as much as I can till early October.

I can now let go of that steeliness of mind one needs to tolerate -5 degree mornings. Liberation has arrived and it's about time. So I will say once again,


“I'm done with winter.”


Spring Peepers. You Usually Never See Them and They are This Tiny

No comments:

Post a Comment