Wednesday, June 11, 2014

I Go Where My Curiosity Tugs Me

It's summer, which means warm nights with me up after-hours reading books once more. The windows, doors are open and a soft breeze now and again wafts the curtains. Pure peace and pure relaxation. I'm trying to crack James Mischener's Alaska. I loved his other one, Chesapeake, so we'll see if this one measures up. Mischener's writing is in of the manner of Dickens (sort of). He'll depict, to death, a tablecloth...then get on with the point of the story.

Since I'm a guy and cannot multi-task to save my life, so I have the stereo on low. That way I can focus everything on the words. In truth, I can focus like a laser but on ONE THING AT A TIME. Otherwise I right down lose it. Nonetheless, I kept glancing over to the music coming out and wondered what station I had on. The music tonight is peculiar.

UMass-Dartmouth, WUMD, 89.3 is playing. I had forgotten I had that on a preset. So I put off reading my latest stolen book and paid attention to this station. At times, college radio is more interesting than the usual revolving content you get on the major corporate ones. Sure, I'll forever savor the 60-80's music, I grew up with it, but I've heard Joel's “Scenes From an Italian Restaurant” 9,404 times. So, this fare from Dartmouth is fairly different.

I keep listening, which means I start paying attention to the lyrics. A young woman's singing voice is ordinarily difficult to beat. It is naturally beautiful to begin with. Most men sing like they're munching gravel. It happened that most of the young women's lyrics were about not being able to decide on anything. The young men's lyrics were about being crazily in love with a girl that doesn't know he exists and does little else but ache for her.

Yep, early 20-Somethings. I was one of them once. I know.

I knew nothing about UMass-Dartmouth, so I looked it up. What I came across was bit of a goof, a site where you can appraise colleges, Student Reviews Here's what some of the kids say about URI's  social life





Here's something I never had when I was 18, various criteria to judge schools at the tip of my fingers. All I had were what I knew to begin with and what was suggested by a high school guidance councilor.

Today, do councilors know what a DTF school is? It's a criteria on some of these college reviews. DTF means a “down to fuck” college. If you want your collegiate experience to be more towards the partying side, you can easily put in parameters to find just the right Pound 'Em Down U. for you.


If you don't care if your kid learns anything at school but to either become pregnant, get an STD or both, go here.  






No comments:

Post a Comment