Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Don't Ask Me About Quilting...I Know Nothing of It...and Zillion Other Things Too




“The older I get, the less I know.”

Yeah, I believe it. There are whole swaths of life and experience I have no clue about. When I was 14, reaching that pinnacle of freedom and ridiculous self-confidence, I was damn sure about the world around me. I could figure it out. I was quick witted, insolent and right. That was before life got me in it's teeth and shook me like a rag dog a few times, that'll take the air out of you. What did it? Terminal illnesses. I came to find out my paltry powers were nothing against the World.

Now at my age I fully understand to shut my damn mouth because I don't know it all.

Every now and then I get a booster shot to shore up that belief.

Tonight, I came across an old co-worker who is still in the social service field. He had moved on from group home work to rehab homes where they try to dry out drug addicts. He then regales me with war stories of some of the patients he's come across. Yeah, it's a complete violation of HIPPA laws but guess what, it's violated all the time. The most harrowing stories are about crack whores in and about Providence.

Daniela was a NYC born Puerto Rican girl who fell into the hell of the Latin Kings at the age of 15. She had been kicked out of her home at 14 when she and her step-dad could not get along, and Mom wasn't about to lose her new beau, so out goes the daughter. She hung with friends when one suggested she could get easy money by selling heroin for the local gang. She did it and made enough cash to survive. That slow spiral into a shit storm was when she was introduced to crack.

She became addicted and with that, you tend to do anything to get that next hit so she ventured (but it sounded like forced) into being a teen slut for the gang members. “$20 Latin King Party Girl” she called herself then my friend says.

Gang life being was it was, it seemed far safer for her “go on her own” doing tricks and she was right. At least the beatings pretty much stopped unless she came across a John who didn't pay, except with his fists.

“She made her best money before 22” he tells me. “Girls that age are still cute looking and not worn out so they can command higher prices...Yay for the free market!” But as you get older and dragged assed from drug use, your commodity suffers and so does the price. So life gets dicier and perhaps it's time for a fresh start in newer fields.

She comes to Providence, works as a CNA a bit and to supplement the cash, she does the prostitution. Lucky for her, she had never been convicted of any crime that would prevent her from doing that work so at least there was that. But the drugs were nagging at her still. Looking like your 35 when you're 28 ain't the life to lead. She checks into a drug rehab unit and with some determination, and a lot of luck, manages to shake herself of the drugs. She's been clean for several years I was told but still looks years older than her current age.

**

I hear this story, which had a bit more detail than I'm letting on here and I felt a bit shocked. I know nothing of that life. I've known no one who has personally lived it. I was reminded again of lives I have NO clue about and it would be a cheap attempt to try understand it. I don't.

I”ve never lived in China, but I have read about it. Want me to tell you all about it? I know jack-shit about China compared to someone who's lived there. It's simple as that.

There was once a noir TV series called the “Naked City” that aired a zillion years ago. It ended each episode with the line, “There are 8 million stories in the Naked City, this has been one of them.”

I know my own story intimately well, perhaps a hundred more marginally well and the other 7,999,899 I know precious little of.

At 14 I could bray about what I knew of everyone, not so much now. You tend to grow up.


So I keep quiet. I know now how to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment