Monday, May 20, 2013

Your Taste in Music SUCKS!

 
How You Remember Him




When I tell people I listen to Frank Zappa they look at me oddly and with some suspicion that I may may be a flake. Anyone listening to that kind of music might be unquestionably degenerate, inferior and possibly wicked. Some of us are, true.


Most people know his of his sophomoric (read as: STUPID) songs like “Don't Eat the Yellow Snow” or “Valley Girls.” Those who have listened to his other stuff look like a dog that has just heard a toucan for the first time and tilt their heads in a questionable manner.


When I first heard it I thought it crap. My brother had been trying to learn the guitar licks off the album and I suffered with it in the background. But like I tell everyone else, it can grow on you.


There are songs that have wonderful concordance. Songs you can easily hum too and enjoy. Donny and Marie's “And They Call it Puppy Love” could be an example of concordance. DIScordant music is something entirely different. On a first hearing it's annoying, unapproachable and weird. An analogy to a racist Asian joke would be, “it sounds like you threw a bunch of forks and spoons down a staircase.”


There are some of Zappa's songs that I still can't get my head around nor be listen to much. They are way too difficult to comprehend.


I finally got some understanding of his more bizarre pieces though. I had recently seen an interview with Frank and how he managed to hear melodies within his music and that weird genre called Concrete Musique. Concrete Musique is organized sound using anything that can create it. You have to be born with one of those Idiot Savant minds to understand it, to see and appreciate the order that IS inside it. Frank claimed he could “hear it” and then spent most of his life writing it.  For you and I, there is no order. We're far too simple-minded to “get it.” These guys were formulating rocket trajectories while we are barely learning to use our fingers to count.


I don't attend many concerts anymore. The music that's out there now, most of it I don't care about. Also, any 70's mainstream band that floats around here charges way too much and I really, really have to love them to fork over the dough to get a ticket. I can thank the Eagles for that one. They had re-formed and went on the “Hell Freezes Over” tour and stopped at Great Woods. The lawn tickets for that show were over $100 and I thought, “To hell with you, Eagles!”


But, I still attend concerts put on by Project/Object. This band is basically Frank Zappa w/o Frank Zappa. His old bandmates are still touring, albeit the smaller venues. Half of those bandmates are gray haired and half the audience attending them are so as well...me included. And out of all the bands that may come by Gilette, Comcast/Great Woods/Tweeter or whatever they call it now, I make an effort to see Project/Object.


Ever listen to NPR? That classical music station? I have, rarely. I call classical music “dancing mouse music.” Why? Because like all kids who grew up on TV cartoons, my first introduction to it were from classical pieces inserted into Bugs Bunny cartoons. The Barber of Seville comes to mind.


Anyway, when Frank died, a few regular stations interrupted their playlists to announce it. NPR spent three to five hours going over everything Frank did in his career. That sort of surprised me that a bunch of stuffy, up-snooted Classical music lovers, like Ron Della Chiesa, whose voice you'd instantly recognized if you had listened to NPR, did speak of Frank for hours on end.


I like some classical, but am no way educated in it to speak of it. But it was a nice surprise to hear those who are, gush over Frank.
 
 
 
And What You Didn't Know

No comments:

Post a Comment