Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dating with Business Cards

Pfizer's Chief Sales Girl
 
 
I was sitting in a Jake n Joes sports bar in Mansfield tonight with M. As we were talking, the place was filling up nicely with business types from the corporate park across the way. Happy Hour!


One such corporate lady sits down next to me, blond and in her early 50's. She pulls out what looks like an email and starts scribbling away on it. As M and I were discussing mid 90's music, I turn to her and tell her to “Put your work away, it's play time.” She responds that this was far too important to ignore and keep dotting and dashing on it. I then squint some more and realize it's her resume.

“Uh-oh, this one is out of work.” I tell myself.

But we talk anyway. She says she was a pharmaceutical saleswoman. Also she holds a teaching degree and is licensed by the State. I give another glance at her resume and it's filled with laurels, trophies and blue ribbons. I sink a little realizing this chick beats me silly on the accreditation list of “career.”

She tells me the sales action in pharmaceutical sucks. They are paying much, much less and tend to hire college cheerleader bimbettes who hold a “communications” degree. Poor thing I think to myself, you have to compete with playful little sex kittens who will charm the signature from a Doctor right onto an order form. It won't matter if she can't explain what targeted drug delivery is, as long as her young, toothy smile melts the Dr's heart...and he signs on the dotted line.

“So where ya from? She asks.

I say, “Rhode Island.”

“Oh, I thought you talked a bit funny.”

Funny. I guess so. You can drive 40 miles in any direction and the accent changes.

Meanwhile M is shooting me cynical smiles. Yeah, I know what he's doing, busting my balls.

Out in the car, M advises: “You ought to dye your hair again, it'll take that extra 15 years off you that you don't really own.”

Yeah, possibly. I'm thinking shoe polish BLACK.


No comments:

Post a Comment