Thursday, October 1, 2015

I Would Miss Electricity Though...


Click and See the Scene



I saw this movie a long time ago when either of the three major networks would shove in a flick to fill up a late Sunday afternoon. Jerimiah Johnson at first seemed corny as hell but as the movie went on, I became more interested. What struck me throughout most of it wasn't the dialog or action sequences, it was the dead quiet. All you hear are Jermiah's footsteps, the wind or barring those, nothing at all. For a few moments, you can experience what that silence is like if you've never been away from it all. That silence is enveloping. I've only known it for short periods and I mean short, hours at most. I have no idea what that would be like for months.

There were real mountain men back then, around the 1840's. From what a history professor told me, those guys never did stay long up in he high country. They trapped what they could, came back down and traded it. The career usually lasted three years for most. If you weren't killed by the Indians, eaten by bears or busted through thin ice, became wet then froze to death, you plain just became worn out from having to deal with the elements when your so exposed like that. You can't build permanent shelter when you are running trap lines all the time, so you camp out and move alot...even through those bitch winters in the Rockies.

The movie's climax is that scene in the clip above. It's kind of spooky really. Jeremiah's been gone so long into the woods he's forgotten most of his past, civilization and even the particular days in a calender. He's gone from someone who's been juggling 140 variables a day in his civilized life to being pretty much numb. It's what he wanted when he set out and got it in spades.

**

PBS occasionally has decent programs on, mostly when they in their donation drives. We accidentally came across “Alone in the Wilderness,” that was shot in the late '60s. In it, you see a real life Richard Proenneke who at 51, builds his own cabin w/o powertools in a remote part of Alaska. He so enjoyed his first stay there that he retired to the cabin till he was in his 80's. As we watched it, us guys seemed to be transfixed by his wood working skills and silly strength. You see him working all day sawing trees, chopping trees, finishing logs and then carrying them around. When was the last time you used a hand saw to cut anything? I haven't in a few years and cutting through a six inch bough of dried tree limb took me over 15 minutes. It would take Proenneke three. They guy had the stamina of a 16 year old kid.

Tough ol' bird.

Perhaps it's a guy thing, but as we watched it, most of us were in awe. We just kept commenting on this guy's ability to hack out of the woods all that he needed. Spoons to eat with? He carved them. Bear proof door locks? He carved those out of wood too. He fashioned his log cabin to such tight tolerances that no filler was needed to plug up any gaps where the draft might blow in. The only time we called “foul!” was when we saw him carry a roll of tar paper to be used on his roof. I guess you can't fashion that out of the Alaskan wilderness. He had to purchase that in Anchorage. He had enough to eat as his homemade fishing pole and troll lines would yank in fish after fish. Red meat? He had an old WW1 Springfield army rifle, w/o a scope, which good enough to take down an elk at 200 yards. You try shooting at a 4 inch circle with open sights at that range, you need the eyes of a hawk! One elk was enough to keep him fed through an entire winter.

When he became too old in his 80's to maintain that cabin life, others convinced him to come back to the “Lower 48.” He regretted it immensely but realized that at his age, he'd probably die trying to survive another Alaskan winter. I sometimes suspect he wouldn't have minded that at all.

I just finished reading his book and it's a decent read if you want to hear about how he did it. A good part of the book is about his wanting to find “quiet.” There's one passage where he steps out onto the frozen lake by his cabin, on some god awful bone chilling Alaskan night, just to watch the aurora flicker around. It was so quiet he swore he could hear it.

Here's the last paragraph in his book.

“I have no doubt that to others I am an oddball in many ways. The Lord waited a little too long to put me on one of his worlds. I don't like the look of progress, if that's what it's called. I would have liked the beginnings better. That is why this place has taken hold of me. It's still in those early stages and man hasn't left too many marks on the land. Surely have been to places up and down these mountains where other men have never been. How long before all this will change as the other places have changed?

I've seen alot of sights from this old spruce chunk, and have thought alot of thoughts. The more I think about it, the better off I am. The crime rate here is close to zero. I forget what it is like to be sick or have a cold. I don't have bills coming in every month to pay for things I don't really need. My legs and canoe provide transportation. They take me as far as I care to go.


To see game you must move little and look alot. What at first appears to be a branch turns into that big caribou bull up there on the benches--I wonder what he thinks about? Is his brain just a blank as he lies there blinking in the sun chewing his cud? I wonder if he feels as I do, that this small part of the world is more than enough to think about?”


Could I do it? Probably not. I'm the same age as Proenneke was when he set out and I can't swing an axe for 30 minutes straight. Add to that, I'm a klutz, I'd swing the axe into my calf eventually. Also, the isolation...real isolation...hmmm...unsure about that too.

I may enjoy the quiet, the peace, but alone with your own thoughts for months? Would I go batshit crazy or would it be healing in nature? Probably I'll lean to crazy. Cabin fever back then was real and the cure for it was to get out of the damn cabin, go for a walk, see the trees and wildlife and experience something different than those four walls, even if it's -30 degrees out there. Shit! There were times here in Pawtucket where I wouldn't want to go get a pizza if it were 5 degrees because it “was too damn cold” and the car wouldn't heat up until I got to the pizza joint. So I'm going to leave a warm cabin to romp around in subzero weather? Nope. I'd probably be found next spring, naked, with twigs stuck up my nose and a suicide note written in squirrel blood that makes no sense when read.





Richard in his home made cabin, happy as a pig in shit with the isolation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment