Saturday, October 24, 2015

Lincoln Center or Trinity Rep, They're Both Valid





Apart from actually having magical powers like Samantha Stevens in “Bewitched,” the Internet is pretty witching too because of it's supernatural ability to find people. The other day I came across a girl I knew when I was a teen who was damned important to me (ie: we raped one another's virginity away) and Patricia Kennealy, the first female rock critic out of the '60's and pagan wife of Jim Morrison from The Doors.

Keneally is depicted in the movie “The Doors” as this pagan/witch/rock-groupie writer who was into Celtic rituals, blood drinking, general mayhem and finally a published author. I wasn't looking for her directly but tripped across her blog and thought, “Jesus...this is the closest I've ever came to Morrison!”

As I read it I sat here realizing my blog is pedestrian and boring as hell compared to hers.

Pawnticket: “Today I'll bore you with a rant about how I hate several past math teachers and sadly, to this day, how I carry a grudge. (These little entries I write let slip through aspects of my personality I should best perhaps leave hidden. You think I don't know that this happens?). That and I'll tell you how to make a pasta sauce.”

Keneally's Blog: “After a concert in San Francisco, Jim and I slipped down to Golden Gate park, sniffed some akyl nitrite and fucked like a couple of retarded gorillas. The next morning I interviewed Linda Ronstadt from the Stone Ponies...Oh, the check from Rolling Stone magazine finally came in.”

*Attaining that Kind of Glory*

The closest I came to any stardom was usually from the audience pit. There's a line that separates the fabulously famous from the wretched mob in the audience you know, it's called a riot fence. At book signings or autograph giveaways the dais and desk will separate you and it was at that kind of venue where I met Joan Jett, Warren Zevon and John Lennon's son, Julian. I met them for all of 40 seconds and had to move on as the line was pushing up from behind.

“Move along plebe! Your few seconds to genuflect in front of her Highness is OVER!”

What's amazing about this kind of success and stardom is always how it always has a lifespan. People meet, they jell well together, they produce something, hit it and ride the wave as long as the dynamics of the group are allowed to grow and mature. But there always comes a point when it must die. A Jumping the Shark moment will occur and trying to keep it on life support just becomes sad looking.

Jumping the Shark? That's an old Hollywood term for when a TV series has run it's course. A popular show that's riding high will have been said to “be over” when the writers really are grasping for straws to enliven the show and keep it going. The old show, “Happy Day's” had a scene where the Cunninghams and Fonzi go to Hollywood and Fonzi, jumps over a shark on water skis. What makes it even cheesier is that he's still wearing that leather jacket. In retrospect, this moment signaled the death knell of the show.




Anyway...

A scant few of us attain that kind of glory like in rock bands, movies or sports, where you are foisted to Godhood. But, if you think back on your own lives, there were some moments you were God, for a while at least.

I can point to several times when I did attain it. It was at the ages of 12, 14, 22, 23, 25, 33, 45ish. Those times in my life where when everything I managed to touch, turned to gold. Those times lasted anywhere from a few months to a year. But like everything else, time moves you along and trying to rest on those laurels won't do. You can't control nor corral it, you just let it happen and enjoy the ride for however long it's going to last.

Let's see, at 12 I can remember reaching that height in my sixth grade class career as being the best and it was proven out by a national test. I've written about that story before. At 14, I was wild and free w/o any parental supervision, growing up as fast as I could. In my early 20's, I was with a gang at RIC where due to all the differing personalities bouncing off one another, it managed to broaden our very own and mine. Later in life there were times where I had “made it” according to the Machiavellian definition of Life, as my Dad put it. So there were moments where I was King for a bit, even though it was a much smaller stage than the one Jimi Hendrix was on.

And that's OK, because I did manage to be a King for a while.

You too must've have moments in your life when all you could do was bat them out of the park without so much as even trying to.

OK, fine, this blog ain't Keneally's but she was struck by that rare lightning that put her on a larger stage. A stage is a stage and we all act on one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment