Monday, December 28, 2015

Sorry Buddha, I'd Rather NOT be Awake.

One thing about getting older is that your immune system is up to snuff. After years of assaults, your immunity has file after file on all those various bacteria and viruses. When I was much younger, I was taken out time and again by every virus that came along. I was inexperienced with them all. Being older now, I have been lucky these past few years though as I haven't been really sick at all. Until, you meet up with something your immune system hasn't met before. “Hi Ron? This is 340.b1H rhinovirus..we haven't met! I'll be staying about five days! Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha!”


Then your immune system has to take a few days to recognize this intruder and beat it's ass. But it takes a few days dammit.


It's been nearly four years since I've been smack-down sick with a flu or respiratory illness. Thank God! But after four years, I forgot just what it's like. I forgot how spacey, out of it and “2 seconds behind it all” I can get when my head is full of snot. Then there are the dreams. There's nothing more vivid than dreams you have when your sick. They just don't compare to the ones you have when you're feeling well. It's not necessarily nightmares at all but the subject matter of them are plain bizarre. Newer “movies” for just when you feel ill. I sleep fitfully when sick, waking up after each dream wondering, “What the fuck was that about?” Then'll I'll have a sneezing session, spraying goo all over a towel I keep by the bed just in case. A designated terry cloth towel is far better than damn Kleenex, I can tell you. Want the logistics of it? Kleenex can't hold gallons of snot, but a towel can! I roll over and beg to pass out again for a couple hours more then wake up to a dream about cutting shale rock out of a quarry in New Hampshire in the rain. I had that one last night. Why? Don't ask me, ask the virus. I haven't dreamt this particular scene but it's weird enough to qualify.








One thing about owning pets, especially cats, is that you learn from them. A cat when sick, will curl up into a ball and sleep even more so. I do the same if I can. Move little and try to remain unconscious as long as possible. Great advice. No ibuprophen can remove the misery like losing consciousness can when you fall asleep. If you can't sleep, do what I do if you have the time...sit and stare into and out past your TV set into the Great Beyond. Simply just space out. It can be a silly soap opera, as long as you have something to barely focus upon, you then can get the 1000 Yard Stare and then go numb, relieving you of any immediate knowledge of how infirm you are. With practice, you can get it to last five minutes or so. Hey, anything that works huh?


But you can't do that all the time can you? Life calls on you still. So you drag yourself through the day but with a totally different outlook because everything is filtered through your affliction. All things are balanced against how you feel at that moment. Keeping mentally sharp becomes a chore because it requires energy and effort. So you are always judging what task you can modify, just somewhat if you can, in order to make things easier on yourself. I swear it's a minute to minute thing at times. Something simple as driving is effected too.


I was driving home from work and usually I keep at a steady, quick pace. I also tend to space out as I've driven this route a billion times so I know it like the back of my hand. Not last night though. I was driving a good deal less faster because a tiny part of my brain said: “You want to break down, get into an accident on the side of 95? You want to be delayed and sick? Want to find a ride home after?” My mission became, as simple as it is, to get home safely. So I could crawl into bed and beg for a coma to arrive. I also realized that it's dangerous to shove a towel onto your face during a long sneezing fit while driving. The new order of the day becomes, “Fuck that, I need to keep my eyes on the road and if I splatter snot all over the dashboard, so be it.” Hell, I was swerving some even as I was sneezing like banshee, but at least I could see I was.


Common sense takes over fast when these smaller emergencies arise, like being under the weather. You strip away a lot of niceties and anything else that may hinder your goal of trying to feel better. Etiquette? Screw that!


It's funny how personal memories that are important to you, even if mundane, when they crop up when you repeat something from your long since past. I had the same thoughts as I drove home one late winter night, during a major snowstorm in '87, from Route 37 onto 95. I was working in Western Cranston then. All I could think about was getting this ship through the storm to the safe harbor of my driveway. The last thing I wanted was to shovel out my car from some snowbank while coughing, sneezing and feeling like shit to begin with. Cat philosophy again. Find shelter safely, so you can curl up and pass out. I couldn't do that in a snow filled ravine on Rt 37. So I drove very, very carefully.


I made it home to my driveway and sat in the car a good five minutes with it running, the heater blasting. I just have a few more yards to go but the thought of going out into that snow blasting wind made me wait a bit. Going from super hot dry air in a car to that raw cold wind will make me cough, due to the sudden change as I breathed it in. I, guy-like again, sat there to steel myself in order to plunge into those last few yards to the kitchen door. I was aching, tired and used that pissy feeling to finally motivate me to slog through that 20 inches of snow at midnight. I got that key into the door and finally, a safe harbor! I doffed all that clothing and into bed, curled up like a kitty to forget it all. Hibernation time! My last thoughts were of shoveling the driveway and sidewalk tomorrow...and how I was NOT going to do it. I banished from my mind any responsibility as the main one now was to rest.


I make this admission too, guys are babies when it comes to chronic pain. You can slice our arm with barbed wire, create a viciously bright pain that'll last all of two seconds and we can stand it, so long as we can steel ourselves against it. We excel at tolerating acute pain. But hit us with a nagging, taxing smaller pains that lasts days, and we bitch. We guys have no experience with dealing with periods every damn month..so no mental steeliness to deal with that. You girls win that battle of tolerating nagging pain w/o bitching about it. You've been doing it since you were thirteen.


Hey, this entire entry is about my whining and bitching about being sick. So what, I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment