Sunday, July 3, 2016

Hello? uh..Hello?!...HELLO!!!!



French Canadian girls have a certain look and it's in the cheekbones. They're rather high without being freakish and definitely speak of European breeding without having been watered down yet. Gabrielle was her name, about 27 years old and from “woon-SAH-ket.” She had slightly wavy, dirty blond hair, calm blue eyes highlighted by those same cheekbones and a bit of that malnourished skinny look. She needed some more sunlight, a few pizzas to be healthy again.

I've heard of that pronunciation before but ONLY in Woonsocket. I had asked if she had been in Pawtucket before and she had said rarely, but she was down here to see the McCoy fireworks, a three day show that'll culminate tonight's blowoff around 9 PM. They'll stuff another 70,000 people in and around McCoy stadium in a city whose population to start with, is 70,000. I can get in and out of there in 10 minutes, but that's only because I live here and know which backyards I can drive through! Yes, I said “backyards.”

Gabrielle goes on. “I do everything in woon-SAH-ket...I got my stores, bars, my job...it's all there! I don't come down here much.”

Woonsocket is a self sustaining asteroid all unto it's own.

While we were outside talking, she kept reaching up to scratch her head, kinda like when a dog goes full on to scratch some fleas.

“I”m sorry...it itches like hell...I've got psoriasis and it's kicking up again.”

I say, “No problem, I know exact--” Too late, I can't complete my sentence before I'm cut off.

“People are so judgmental! It's psoriasis...it's a self....self-immune disease!”

“You mean auto-immune dis---” I'm cut off again.

“They think they'll catch it...they can't! I'm not contagious! You'd think people would listen to me!”

I try to get a word in edgewise. “I understand why it itche---” Cut off again.

She pulls up her summer dress to show me her legs. “”Look..people think I'm a freak! These spots! They're can't hurt you!” Her legs weren't covered in anything much than just a sparse, few psoriasis plaques that mimic mosquito bites.

I try again. “I'm on your side. I have....”

“I'm OK with my body...I know some think I look too skinny but I hate judgmental people..why get on me because of my genetics..I can't stop this psoriasis!!”

Now I'm looking at this chick and sort of amazed at how she's completely wrapped up into her own head to the point of being unable to hear anyone but herself. So I try to reach her, to see if wakes her up.

“Look, I understand! I HAVE psoriasis too..I know what...” (That's true, I do) No help...she never heard me.



“The other girls..they compete with me all the time! I can't seem to get a break here and I can't help that I have psoriasis!”

Shit...her reception radar is turned completely off! I try this, in a louder voice.

“Blue. Monkey. 15!”

“...and those girlfriends...sometimes they too dump on me because I scratch my head a lot...I have medicated shampoo that helps calm it but I can't ever stop this..I have it forever!”

She never heard that strange thing I said. Most others would look at me weirdly if I said “Blue.Monkey.15”

I was attracted to her about twenty minutes ago. I was feeling my way towards her, figuring her out, seeing if she was seriously boy-friended or not. After this little conversation I came to realize she embodied the worst of that Millennial trait, self-absorption with the added success of being able to make the entire Earth orbit herself.

“Ewwww” I though to myself. '”You're way too much work!” I imagined screwing her and her yapping on and on about why the other girls at work plot against her and why her boss promotes via nepotism...that or texting about herself to a waiting, rapt world on Twitter.

I thought to myself...”God..imagine having to spend a weekend with that non-stop narcissism?”

Still..those eyes were hard to ignore. But the smarter part of myself won out. I went back inside, she followed and I excused myself to disappear into the men's room for a few minutes. Coming back out I found she have found another audience to perform too, a group of younger girls. They were all actively trying to steal the spot light from one another by interjecting their own, VERY important stories over one another.

When I was a kid, it was called, “Lookit-ME! Lookit-ME!”

No comments:

Post a Comment