Monday, August 23, 2010

Thank God It Wasn't a Dream




I don’t remember many of the dreams I have. Mundane dreams are forgettable. In the first few minutes of waking up, most of my dreams evaporate away. Children dream of monsters, spaceflight or yellow zebras on skateboards. Adults dream of taking the car to the mechanic.


But this morning I had a dream of someone I haven’t seen 27 years. SueAnn D. came back to me this morning.


I met SueAnn at a friend’s home 27 Aprils ago. I never did forget it. Then as now, I can tell you what she was wearing the first time we met. She had on a pink Oxford shirt, white capris and a light brown leather coat. The hazel eyes, dirty blond wavy hair and a delicate face quickly interested me. It’s amazing how guys can be spellbound in a nanosecond; I was.


We piled into my old Chevy Nova for a cruise. SueAnn, Dave and I were crammed into the front seat, with me driving. Rachael and Scott took the back seat and slid all the way down to make out, completely ignoring us.


Sue and I found out we went to the same schools but of different grades. We had a fun time comparing teachers we both had. Dave kept to himself, greedily sucking on a joint and the two in the back seat were hidden under an old, slightly mildewed quilt I kept there.  As Sue and I talked, our eyes met and there was an inviting stare that two people who like each other will give. That stare occurred while driving on Blackstone boulevard in the East Side of Providence. I remember that as well.


Do I spill my mind further? Hell why not.


June is a great month for full moons. They light up the landscape enough to read by. That June moon lit up place here nicknamed “Canada Dry” by we locals. Canada Dry has fields of sand, white pine trees on small hills and much needed privacy. Sue and I were there one June night.


Sex is different for guys vs. girls. We get so lost, immersed and focused that nothing else exists. That night with Sue, I may have gone further. When I was with her then, you could’ve lit off an M-80 near me and I probably would not of heard it.


I thought she looked that pretty that night.


Well, like many of my relationships with girls, it was either her, I , both or our friends who screwed it up over real or imagined reasons. Sue and I never made it past that summer.


I didn’t dream of that particular memory of Sue this morning. What I did dream of was her typing out her college application to Rutgers one night so long ago. And that typing in her room was all it took to have me thinking of her this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment