Friday, June 1, 2012

Falling Into Place


I swear June and September have the best weather at times. I get up this morning and when I stepped outside there was that perfect air. There was a nice dry and cool breeze tossing the leaves on the trees some. It sort of reminds me of that languid motion of the reeds in rivers, slowly waving left then right.


You know the day is going to turn out pretty well since your mood has been set on “ahhh!”


I like agreeable surroundings...and who doesn't? You need the right features and some came together this morning. Not only is the air perfect outside but in this house as well since I leave the windows open quite a bit during the summer. Add to that the wafting of the curtains and an old Walter Egan song playing on WCIB 101.9...and things fall into place.


That scene is one of many that can just fit just right without any effort.


If live in a congested city or a packed suburban neighborhood like I do, you understand the front steps are a veranda. Last night at 1 AM I drive by Jack's house and see he's out on his steps so I stop by and sit down to shoot the shit for a while. There was nothing of import to discuss as the conversation drifted from local gossip, to Curt Schilling and other nearby news. This lasted to about 2:30 and the air was still warm enough to tolerate being out that late. What's nice is that we weren't the only ones up. I could hear sounds drifting from other houses. I could hear someone listening to a repeat of the French Open, another was clanking their dishes in the sink. An occasional car full of teens would drive by slowly, not interrupting that calm.


And finally I go home. I do those things we all do to tie up the house for the night. I finally crash into the bed and there's that one last look at the curtains waving in the window, glowing to the moonlight.


I guess the other three seasons provide these moments, but summer is the king of them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment