Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Living Fairly Fat Off My Ancestors






When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I survived at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood.


People everywhere brag and whimper about the woes of their early years, but nothing can compare with the Irish version: the poverty; the shiftless loquacious father; the pious defeated mother moaning by the fire; pompous priests; bullying school masters; the English and the terrible things they did to us for eight hundred long years.

And above all -- we were wet.”


.and another quote...


...you, the privileged, the chosen, the pampered, with nothing to do but go to school, hang out, do a little studying, go to college, get into a money-making racket, grow into your fat forties, still whining, still complaining, when there are millions around the world who'd offer fingers and toes to be in your seats, nicely clothed, well fed, with the world by the balls.”



*****



I read Angela's Ashes when it came out. I didn't identify with it at all, even with being third generation Irish. How could I? I wasn't born and grow up in a rainy slum. I could identify with the culture, the drinking and the Irish mindset at times though. That, I was introduced to.  I also know I am Shanty Irish vs the Lace Curtain kind when it comes to breeding.  What does that mean? Well here's an old joke to detail that a bit for you.

What's the difference between Shanty and Lace Curtain Irish?

Lace Curtain Irish wash their hands after pissing in the sink.

Other than that. I'm Irish mostly through my looks. Snow white hair by thirty, pie faced and slightly bandy legged that can give a an odd gait at times. Years ago, while in a Misquamicut bar by the beach, my friend and I were talking to an older local who kept saying I was Irish as “Paddy's Pig.” I had to ask in what way as I didn't know what that “look” entailed. “Jezzus boy! Go look in the mirror!” I was told.


Ok, so I'm connected to the Green Isle via genetics.


Luckily for me, I never inherited the DNA for drinking my guts out. That I'm grateful for.


There is one thing I can agree with McCourt. He did remind me of how damn good I have it when compared to the rest of the world. Even though I don't live in the Hamptons, have ownership of a Rt 128 biotech firm or have hit the lottery, I ain't doing bad. When compared to some in El Salvador, I live like a King.


And yet, like McCourt mentions, I still bitch. I wish this or that would happen. Or I wish this or that didn't happen. Or I get annoyed with some aspect of my house, leisure time or life and I make changes to that, only to repeat that again with some other feature in the future.


Never totally satisfied...


You do this too you know!


So, it's nice being reminded that in comparison, life doesn't really suck at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment