Tuesday, November 27, 2012

But, I come FIRST!



My friend Barry has a saying about younger women. “They're living in their own world, their own bubble. Nothing else is real outside of that. If it doesn't pertain to them in some way, then it doesn't matter.” He's gone on to say that we're all guilty of this as well from time to time.


This morning, I'm looking in the mirror at the white beard stubble I need to shave off and the ever deepening crow's feet I have around my eyes. “Sigh...There's no stopping it is there?” I tell myself. Woe is me. Me, me, me.


I then hear my dog explode in a fit of deep barking. I go out into the living room to see him yelling at two fire trucks and one ambulance parked outside my neighbor's house. It's Gladys once again. She very old and has had one stroke and I suspect she's in danger once again as the firemen dashed into the house this time around.


Who here has the greater claim on want and desire?


Pauly Anghinetti, an old English professor I once had, use to opine daily in his classes about people in general. “People are the worst!” he'd say. We're all greedy, selfish and forever grabbing at what we desire and want it NOW. Here is a poem he once wrote:


Gimme, gimme, gimme
I,I,I
Now, now, now
Me, me, me
Mine, mine mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment