Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over the Lazy Dog

“Foxes occupy a unique place among animal stereotypes. They can be good guys, bad guys, or completely neutral, but they're always crafty, clever, and cunning. Their sly nature sometimes results in illegal actives, so it's not uncommon to see them portrayed as thieves or con-artists; in other words, they're a classic Trickster Archetype

In folklore, the trickster is incarnated as a clever, mischievous man or creature (typically the fox), who tries to survive the dangers and challenges of the world using trickery and deceit as a defense. For example many typical fairy tales have the King who wants to find the best groom for his daughter by ordering several trials. No brave and valiant prince or knight manages to win them, until a poor and simple peasant comes. With the help of his wits and cleverness, instead of fighting, he evades or fools monsters, villains and dangers with unorthodox strategies. Therefore the most unlikely candidate passes the trials and receives the reward, the King's daughter. A modern example would be seen in the character of Bugs Bunny.”

**

“I've been reading your blog...it's NUTTY! You say anything you want in it!” says Diane, a very old friend from years ago.

“Diane, you've known me since I was what? Twenty-three? You're just finding that out?”

“True...you're more crazy like a fox. But others won't get that, I knew others who would just shake their head at the stuff you said or did. I knew you were screwing with them, they didn't.” She says.


I say, “That's the point! Foxes intentionally act irrational or hyperbolic in order to throw off the competition! Plus, it's fun screwing around. SO WHAT if I lowered people's view of me, their estimation of me, that's a tactic. And if it initially costs me some street cred, so what, the pay off in the end was larger.”

She goes on. “Damn, you were always soo competitive then, in your own odd ways. I'd watch you completely enjoy playing those games you did then...you devious little bastard!”

“I'm not a bastard...I am a FOX!”

“You've outfoxed yourself a number of times, you know.” she goes on.

I admit it. “Yeah, that's when I lose control of the game, I get taken up by it and nail myself with my own tricks. If there was something I wanted, the trick is to make sure the opponent doesn't know what I want, hide how I was going about to get it and then send them down the wrong trail when they finally become aware something is up...without falling into my own trickery.”

“Uh-huh...and I've seen you convict yourself with your own mouth when you tripped up.” Diane says.

“Ummm...I didn't win them all, but I had wicked fun doing it!”

Diane thinks for a moment. “You know, I swear you are still competing against your own Dad.”

“Good girl! You know me well. He was my main competitor at times...and a good one. Where do you think I learned these tricks from? And he competed against me too, don't forget!”

**

I admit it. I loved trickery. The best “wins” were when someone was trying to outsmart me and then I used their own game to defeat them. Whether it be gossip, family life, relationships or just general everyday life, it was fun to defeat someone who was playing the same game as I was. We compete for food, mates, money, attention, the TV channel and a host of other things great and small. To win, you use your best talents.

And why?

Because growing up in a family teaches you this from a very early age. Every family has it's own little dynamic that pretty much every member understands. The rules for it are known and everyone in the family plays their part. Everyone will do what they can to satisfy their wants or needs within that family.  Dysfunctional family you say? Find me one that isn't! Families too play foxy games with the world at large too.

Of course, the trick here too is to display to the neighborhood a family gleaming with shiny mental hygiene. Little Jimmy is on the honor roll. Suzie scored the winning goal in soccer. (But don't speak of little Billy when you had to take the cat to the vet after he nearly bit the tail in half!). Show the world how stable you are and never let a family problem or argument spill out into the front yard where everyone can see or hear it.

Though that is entertaining...watching some family go hog wild with everything that's been pent up for weeks, on the front lawn, for all to see and hear. A true SCREAMFEST.

I digress...

We all learn how to live life by learning it early from our families. I haven't seen one family that was so perfect that the members didn't learn various “ugly” talents in order to navigate them. We all experienced this and we all have our ugly talents. It's human. Period.


When my Dad said, “No, you can't do this or that,” I found a way around it. If not, I led him down a path that had him acquiescing to it. Well, I didn't win all the time but I scored rather well usually. That's my ugly talent. I can be a fox and seem nutty. But there's a motive behind it all.  



No comments:

Post a Comment