Saturday, January 31, 2015

Boors,Cads, Fiends and Bounders



“When you get to my age, your tolerance for bullshit is going to get real short.” B. tells me.

“The reason why is that as you get older, everything you experience becomes ceaseless...a repetition of 'Been there, Done that.' How long will your patience last after you've 'done that' 11,304 times?”

I had a tiny experience with this last night. Perhaps the younger generation doesn't understand etiquette or the rules for it have changed and I'm the one who's clueless. I ain't so sure now.

When I see an empty chair at a bar, restaurant or wherever in public, and there's a coat draped on it, a beer sitting on the table in front of it with keys, or a plate of food, I tend to think that chair is “owned.” Obviously someone was sitting there and will come back in a few.

**

I came back from the bathroom and saw this sort of pretty young women, about 22, in my chair. I then get real close to her, reach right by her face with my arm to retrieve my beer. Basically I'm violating the hell out of her personal bubble space on purpose. She then shoots this annoyed look at me and I say:

“Wow, I was gone for two minutes and you jumped right into my spot!”

She then giggles some, reaches out to flirtatiously brush my arm and flips her hair and says: “Oh, well I saw it was open.” I get one of those great toothy smiles and dead-on eye contact. Once she's done, she turns around and goes back to texting, completely blowing me off.

“Holy shit” I think to myself, “She ain't moving!” I also am taken aback a bit by this breach of etiquette. What balls!

I remain there for twenty long seconds and then bark:

“GET OUT!”

To that I have my hitch-hiking thumb extended that accompanies my demand and points, “Get on down the road, bum!”

She jumps from the change in my attitude and gets out of the chair as well. As she leaves, she shoots me this bratty, almost pig-faced “I didn't get to keep my candy” look back at me. She moves back down to where her other friends are, all the while acting like she just smelled burning cat fur.

Two guys about her age were watching this show. They were right behind me the whole time and seemed startled by what I just did.

One says to me, “Wow, that was mean and rude.”

“Hopping into my chair when it was obvious someone was sitting there wasn't?” I say in defense. “Why does she get a pass for her bad manners?”

I then see what they are both thinking and I go on.

“How many times have women done this to you? Girls your age? Flirting with you to get their way?” I ask.

“Alot” they both nearly say at the same time.

“Uh-huh...and how many times did you get laid by acquiescing to it?”

“None” they both nearly say again.

Now you're learning, boyo!” I say in a mock Irish accent.

“Get to my age and you won't fall for those little tricks anymore. You're hopes of 'getting it' shouldn't be based on manipulative teasing that was never meant to attract you. Don't worry, after it happens to you 630 times, you'll get sick of it.”

**

What the kicker of this was, it happened again thirty minutes later. Another twenty-something jumps into my chair when I got up for about five minutes.

I come back and see this guy who had pushed my belongings over to put his in place. His beer, his keys, his iPhone, his burger and fries.

This time I grab my coat that was draped on the chair and start roughly yanking on it. This got his attention as he was also sort of sitting on it.

“OH...Sorry...You were sitting here?” he says.

“Yes, I was.”

He then grabs his stuff and moves on.

I sit down, look towards heaven and roll my eyes.


Have the rules changed and I'm just not “with it” anymore or are some of these kids just oafs?

No comments:

Post a Comment