Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Past(s) Becomes Clearer

Again, afternoon dreams are matchless to me. The vividness, the retention and message are all clear cut. I had yet another one that reminded me of a time which I was very happy, due to some ugly circumstances.


The reason why I was pleased was because my Mom had kicked the bucket and took with her the stress, duress and subduing nature of chronic illness. This isn't new. I once had a funeral director tell me that (learned throughout his career) the end of a terminal illness was liberation, not only for the one afflicted, but for the family as well. This is true and I can attest.


I won't go into detail about the leaps and bounds I made after being “freed.” I detailed that here in a piece where I speak of the reason why “El Condor Pasa” by Paul Simon figured so much in my life in 1996. Simply put, I was like a dog that was off a leash finally.


But what's got me thinking is why now, in these past few years, do I have dreams similar to this one where aspects of my life are replayed again. Who knows. Perhaps this is what happens when you get older and the perspective of time allows you to recognize clearly just what went on all back then.


I don't immediately recognize the images in the dream. Sometimes, some very inconsistent juxtaposition of image, sounds and whatnot are in the script. After a while of chewing on it, I come to find they weren't disparate at all, they were integral to the narration of the dream.


See if you can discern just what the hell this picture is all about? It was in the sky all throughout the dream I had. In the dream, I was fixing up the house, bringing into completion of what I envisioned it should be and not just a reminder of the past. I was working on a screen door, when I looked over my shoulder and saw this in the sky.







100 points if you said, “International Space Station,” because that's what it is.


So what was that doing in a dream I had? I had to ponder that for a bit when an old memory hit me, I had seen this in the sky at one time. It was the late 90's while watching Gary Ley glibly chatter about the weather when he mentioned if you ran outside now, you could catch the ISS craft flying over head the north-western part of the sky. I did just that. I came back quick to get my brother to see this too. I consider the late 90's a time when I was rebuilding my life after having devoting much of it taking care of other people a short few years before. Everything was falling into place and what I touched, turned to gold. It's a great feeling to have.


I don't consider dreams to be predictive. If they were, I would've had dreams of flying monsters and witches appear in my real life. They never did appear.  I do think my dreams are “reminders,”  excepts of my life up to this point. Anyways, that's what they seem to be. Hell, it was nice to be reminded of a time when things were great.

No comments:

Post a Comment