Friday, August 31, 2012

Making the Positive Decision

My Bike Odometer




Not bad huh? 669 miles ridden. If you drew a straight line from Pawtucket due north, that would've put me close to Lac Coursey in Quebec, Canada. That's up next to the Quebec Hydro dams. Granted, it took me two full months to do this. Still, it's a feat for me.

 
I bought a bike because I've always loved them. To this day, they're still a toy for me. I still feel like I'm flying when I go up and down the dirt trails I can find around here. As a kid, I'd imagine I was flying an F-15...and don't think that hasn't popped up into my head now, at 48!

 
And to top it off I've burnt up 20lbs.

 
Now why am I on a health kick? I suppose hitting the gym up and biking all these miles will improve my heart function, make my arteries more pliable, lower the bad cholesterol and improve my lung function. All of that is nothing but good.

 
But the true motivation? My real reason for hitting the road at 6 AM?

 
Vanity.

 
In the movie American Beauty, a personal trainer, asks Kevin Spacey just what he wants to accomplish from working out. Kevin answers; “I want to look good naked!"

 
And I know, I am not alone at all wanting the very same thing Kevin did, otherwise there wouldn't be millions of fad diets, gym memberships or Soccer Moms begging their Dr's for another script for speed and using it as a diet drug.

 
I have to tell you though. It's not easy. The amount of work you have to put in, day after mother-fucking day, is immense. I have a new found respect for the human body and it's ability to do so much work with just 100 calories. A 100 calories can be found in ONE can of Campbell's Chicken Soup. One! I have to peddle nearly 20 minutes at a good pace to burn that off.

 
Now multiply that 5 to 7 times and that's what I do a day on the bike alone.

 
I can remember one Today Show episode where Laurer was interviewing one of the first contestants who won The Biggest Loser contest. When asked by Laurer for the best advice possible, the guy answered, “Shut your mouth and move your feet.”

 
He's right.

 
You have to pair busting your ass working out with diet change. I have found over the past couple of months it's brought up another realization in me. I can't stop this ever. It's a lifestyle change that you must live day to day in order for it to work.

 
My target weight for someone my age and height is about 165-175. I'm about 10lbs away from that. When I reach it, I can't sit back and say, “There now, I did it, time to order 4 pizzas.” I have to manage the food intake and pair it with the exercise as need be.

 
Believe me, I have gaffed this regimen up good at times. I was invited to a pig roast a week ago that had a giant keg of beer too. What do you think I did? I gorged on pig meat and drank till I was good and silly like everyone else there did. If in a restaurant, my eyes drift to the Colossal Gut Busting Burger Fried in Three Kinds of Butter that's on the menu...and I get it!

 
I slip and trip badly. But I acknowledge this, as I don't eat like this every day and tell myself, “Well kid, you get back on the horse tomorrow and do it again. Hit the bike, gym and portion control your favorite pasta.”

 
It's doable. It's a goal that can be achieved. You just have to realize that it takes months, takes effort and you have to forgive yourself when you trip.

 
Oh, and you do actually feel better overall too, in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment