Saturday, January 19, 2013

Alex and Ani


I've never been to Bristol's Fourth of July parade and the only way I'd go is if I had an overnight place to stay. I used to work in Warren, RI a while back and driving on route 114 on that day is tedious. Instead I watch the parade on TV. During the last broadcast of it, I kept seeing these commercial spots, a lot of them, of a jeweler called Alex and Ani. Whoever was buying that much commercial time during the broadcast must have had a ton of money. I had never heard of Alex and Ani before that day.

 
What struck me was the high quality of the spots, the eco-friendliness and almost New Age-y style to them. They certainly managed to get a “lifestyle” feel for the commercials. You see these and they leave you with the feeling that you have just driven through Sonoma Valley or walked along some beach in the Vineyard. Each time one came on, I didn't look away. I'm a guy for God's sake and I'm not about to buy much jewelry, ever. But still, I had to watch.

 
I finally looked them up after hearing that Carolyn Rafaelian (the founder of Alex and Ani) bought the Belcourt Castle in Newport. This, after having purchased Sakonnet Vineyard down by Little Compton way. I guess she has so much money the banks turn her away now.

 
Apparently this jewelry company has been around for a while now. Rafaelian was in the jewelry business as a kid. Her parents ran a company and she learned it from the ground up.   Boy, did she find her niche! Her brand has exploded overnight! I looked up their company website and I see that she's opening up stores all over the country. She'll be able to buy Mars soon enough, I'm sure.

 
Nothing succeeds like success they say. I guess so! Though I swear there's a huge element of luck in involved. I can bet it was those commercials that did it for her, or at least the luck of hiring the right company to do them. Those spots grabbed by attention and I have no intention of buying their jewelry ever.

 
Hmm, the only jewelry I have bought, besides cheap leather wristbands, was one 20kt gold herringbone necklace back...in 1990? I forget why but I thought they looked cool and I plunked down the money to have it. I wore it for about one summer when my friend Matt accused me one night, while we were at the Last Call Saloon, of being a North Providence Guido.

 
“The only reason why your shirt is unbuttoned there is so you can show it...right? He asks.

 
“Well, sure...why not?”

 
“I can see it glinting at me from 20 feet away!!” He finally says, in disgust.

 
That was my only foray into bling.
 
Rafalian
 

No comments:

Post a Comment