Sunday, March 3, 2013

Birthdays and Pissing Off the Young


I turned 49 a few weeks ago. Did I care? Nope. It actually felt like any other day really, except with the “Happy Birthdays” and usual jokes about nearing 50. So what has changed? Both body and mind have over the years, but the body less so. But that'll catch up in time.

 
That last snowstorm we had, the MONSTER one, tested my abilities to shovel 20lbs of snow 500 times in a row. I did well. I compared it to how I did during the last winter. What I did notice were the after effects were more pronounced. Shoveling snow has always left me feeling like I was beaten with a hockey stick. But, the recovery takes longer I find now. I managed to dig myself out in one day (sort of...90% at least), so I still have “it,” for now at least. I suppose biking 20 miles a day like I did during the summer and autumn helped prepare me?   But boy did I feel that last snowstorm in my legs, back and knees.

 
My crow's feet lengthen, my beard stubble whitens and I've had to get a stronger script on my glasses. These things advance slowly but surely.

 
There are ages where we all cross a threshold that shouts out to us about our past. Turning 18 is huge, as you graduate high school and are considered a legal adult. Turning 23 and graduating college was another. Then the word “adult” sunk home as I now had to enter the real workaday world. I was doing adult things constantly. Paying bills, taxes, getting the car fixed...bitching about getting more money to keep doing the same things but with more ease.

 
Turning 27 was the cutoff mark of being a young adult. I could not, I thought, with any justification, be found dead in a ditch with a mind full of chemicals. At various ages you are no longer allowed to pay with certain toys. Past six years of age, playing with blocks gets you laughed at. Playing with cocaine past 27, gets you laughed at at your funeral. You put down “childish” things to pick up toys more attune to your age, like keeping the lawn weed free or refusing to play a make-believe “Dad/Designated Driver” to your drunken, immature buddies who haven't figured it out yet.

 
The next hurdle that shook me was 35. I felt I had entered middle age then. I could tell. I no longer understood or even knew about the new music, fashion, comedians or what-have-you that the 18-22 crowd fawned over. I didn't care either as there was no interest in me for it. Asking me then if I had heard of Destiny's Child would be like asking me if I knew the latest pop songs being played in Argentina. It was foreign to me now. That was then when I started to pick up that aging man's annoying habit the young hate with a passion, being dismissive.

 
There was a well meaning young 20-something I sort of knew then and he had called my attention to a song on the jukebox he had ordered up. As the song played, he was in half rapture as he listened to it. When it was over, he turns to me, expecting me to thank him for finally finding the Holy Grail and asked me...”Well, what do you think of it? It came out last month!”

 
I answer,

 
“It's a take off on Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery.” I sort of dropped that fact onto his lap like a bowling ball. I probably showed some boredom and total lack of enthusiasm about it too, because he was visibly hurt by my caviler answer.

 
“Who?” he asks.

 
“ELP came out with this very new, almost orchestral album that took off like a rocket waay back then. The song we just listened to ripped off some of their riffs and style...I have heard this kind of music before.”

 
It was not new to me, but new to him. That's the difference and that's where the source of irritation the young hold against the old. We've been there in some fashion or another and we're not surprised or wowed anymore. If I've had Thai food for years and you just discovered Vietnamese, then trying to get me to be as enthusiastic as you at your new discovery, ain't gonna work.

 
Can you tell that I'm not a parent in any way shape or form?

 
But. And a big BUT. I'm not going to stand in the way of their personal discoveries. The road is theirs to travel. I try not to dissuade or cheerlead.

 
There's another story about two seeming 20 something lesbian's making out in front of us 40 year old guys at the Celtic a few years back I ought to tell too. Perhaps I'll tell it later, it'll just take a few paragraphs. The same moral of the story is in that one too. “Been there, Done that.” I'll entitle it, “Every Generation Thinks They're the First to Discover Sex.”

 
My fortieth birthday? So.what. It was no mile marker to me. The only surprise was that I was numerically 40.

 
And now nine years later, here I am!

 
I've reached that point where I look back on things, how the arc of my life bent this way or that and understand it better now. I find that I can't help but do this. I have been told, by those much older than me, that I'm reaching that point where reflection is automatic. I'm told I can't help but to think back and look upon my own path, why I chose this direction and not that one. You see, none of us can see too far ahead into the future. You make your best educated guess and go from there. You do your course corrections as outside influences (and inside ones you are barely aware of) force you to change direction. You may get back on course...or need to change it altogether. That's a living, working reality.

 
Each year that creeps by gives me another course load on Life. I'm attaining my PhD in it in small lengths. You gain a larger perspective on it all as the days tick off. When I was younger, people and their actions confused the hell out of me sometimes. Not so much anymore. Also, I tend to let a lot slide when it comes to peoples' ability to FUCK UP royally. When you take a perspective on their lives, try to walk in their shoes, you ease off using the judgmental club on them. But also, I've learned to wear a CDC environmental suit around those who would spatter their smallpox laden life of mistakes on me.

 
Tune in in fives years, should I still be here and hear another update!

*****

Ok, here's the lesbian story, since I mentioned it and you want to hear it...

 
Mike, John and I were sipping our beer one night when two very young girls come into the bar. The place was fairly empty at that time of night and they sat close enough to us. I would guess three chairs away. It wasn't long before they decided to put on a show.

 
The two start making out at the bar. Ok fine. I don't care what people do with their lives as long as they don't dump it into my backyard and screw my life up. You like raping sheep? Fine, rape them all! Please just leave me out of it! I would hope others would extend me the same favor.

 
But, as these two were going at it, the pig faced one (yes, she wasn't all that pretty) kept turning around to see if we 40 something guys were staring. She'd go back to sucking face, turn around to gauge our reaction, then back to it.

 
We guys, were goofing on the fact she was trying to get a rise out of us older men who OBVIOUSLY never have heard of lesbians. You see, at a young age, any man or women who's around your parents age...ARE your parents and must be treated as so. They are ignorant, unskilled and stupid.

 
Finally, I have to say something.

 
“Hey, (and I'm addressing this to pig face) you think what your doing is new? That we've never heard of it or seen it?” Mike and John, who are sitting next to me, start giggling under their breath. It was the kind of giggle that says “Oh shit..he's gonna do it!”

 
Miss Piggy gives me a snarl.

 
“I suppose you think of yourself as sexually free, right?” She doesn't answer.

 
“If you are that sexually liberated, then you can show me something I've NEVER seen before...(dramatic pause)...Fuck a dog in front of me...I've never seen that live!”

 
Mike gets up to “use” the bathroom real quick. John openly starts laughing.

 
She finally has to say something...'That's GROSS!”

 
“No it's not,” I say, “sexual liberation is about doing anything! Why judge? Why come down on that? People should be free to be who they are and experiment ALL the way!”

 
I pissed her off. She dragged her nicer looking girlfriend to back room, probably saying “Fuck you” under hear breath the whole way.

 
I'm sorry...there are times when I shoot my mouth off, but I can't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment