Monday, November 17, 2014

Good Grief!




Back in 1999, 60 Minutes Steve Kroft had an interview with Charles Schulz, the creator of Peanuts. It was one year before he'd retire the 50 year old comic strip and gave a surprising revelation as well. I saw it and Schulz looked and acted like I expected him to, an elderly Midwestern man, with all that simple forthrightness they have there in middle America. What you see, is what you get. Compare that to us Yankee New Englanders, who are as calculating and wary as hell.


Any decent interviewer will play armchair psychologist as he explores his mark. Kroft was no different. Kroft finally asks, after saying most cartoonists are drawing themselves, is Charlie Brown really Charles Schulz? Schulz stalls, his eyes getting glassier and glassier, and with almost that first tear ready to drop, responds with a crackled, “y-yes.”


Kroft gets Schulz to admit he was that Charlie Brown as a kid.


Schulz apparently had no happy childhood. He sucked in school and managed to fail every subject in the 8th grade. He sucked at sports, but joined the school's golf team and blew the only game that mattered, the season's final, greatest match. Afterwards, he managed to lose the consolation golf match too.


He had relatively few friends in school and once said he'd be astonished if anyone of them said “Hi” to him after school hours, should they meet by chance. He wasn't a bullies target then, just completely forgotten as a dull, nearly transparent mediocrity.


Schulz's only saving grace was that he could draw and even with that, his younger contemporaries thought it uninspired. Well, we all knew what happened after that. He created probably, for it's time, the most popular strip ever.


*****
Nothing changes. As kids and as adults, we're always jockeying for position on that hierarchy of the social ladder. For myself? I've been up and down it and stayed relatively in the middle now for decades.


I once knew, as all of you did, one of those kids who seemed perpetually on the lowest rung. The one I knew back in 3rd grade was Kevin. It seemed he could do nothing right and when he did manage a “win” and expected laurels for it, everyone else dismissed it as insignificant. Kids are bastards! So are some adults now that I think of it.


As I remember him, he wore to school a lot of those Hanes tee shirts. He didn't have a collared shirt or anything on top of it. Plus, those Hanes shirts weren't white but a grimy gray. I guess Mom or whoever did the laundry never did learn about Clorox. He also wore what we called Janitor's pants. Those old army olive-drab green Dickies. The only guys who wore them were metal machinists we'd see around town. Old WW2 veteran guys with crew cuts, chomping cigars, dirty and their work clothes smelled of 3-in-1 oil.


Add to that, Kevn's skin wasn't too fun to look at either, it was layered with dead skin cells and dirt.


When we all left 3rd grade and moved onto 4th, usually the previous class was held together for the next grade. We were surprised to find out that Kevin wasn't with us again. We find a bit later he had moved away. Kevin was forgotten quickly as dead.


I saw him again without recognizing when I was just about to enter high school. This guy comes up to me, holding out his hand and saying “Hi.” He remembered me easily though. He looked well dressed, clean and he had to remind me of who he was.


He had told me he did move away back then and later moved into his Uncle's family. I had asked him why he was in this field where we teens would hang out and he said he was there to scout out locations for the next radio controlled airplane race/contest. He belonged to the Rhode Island chapter of it and was rated in the top ten fliers. He then went onto say he did very well with math and was hoping to join the Air Force one day. He probably did.


As I was talking to him, I did what everyone else does when meeting someone from the past, you pick up where you left off. I was initially scornful but that was melting fast as he told me his story. Inside myself, I felt I was becoming defensive against this rising star, or already risen star who had a list of accomplishments. The kicker was that I realized this kid had crawled out of the pit he was in and was now sitting on whatever top five rungs of the social ladder he belonged too. It was threatening to me. This guy was now a viable competitor.


He left after looking around and I wondered how he went from LOSER to a confident young teen. I was impressed and a bit dumbfounded by his transformation. The feeling inside of me was, “How did he manage that?”


Good for him. Good for Schulz too.

No comments:

Post a Comment