Sunday, June 7, 2015

Ahhh...I'll Just Microwave a Hot Pocket...

I find most restaurants pretty underwhelming. The fare doesn't blow my socks off unless I'm looking only to gorge myself. After-which I lie fat and motionless like an elephant seal on a beach after swallowing 150 herring.

“Ughhhh..I shouldn't eaten it all...if I just can fall asleep...”

Chain restaurants are the worst I find. You get these surgically proportioned meals priced surgically too. Applebees was one experience I found myself never returning too. Chicken Broccoli pasta with a Mornay sauce is great, but not when they give you handful of angelhair dampened with the sauce. The chicken was deviously prepared by slicing a breast in half then flattening one half of it with a mallet. Bastards.

Then there was Margarita's, which specializes in salt. I like salt, probably more than the average person, but when you cure all your offerings with enough salt to make it last past Judgement Day, I gag. I was told later that it was in an effort to help you purchase more of their signature margaritas to wash it all down. Their “El Presidente for Life” margarita was the size of a gold fish bowl that came with a hefty $12.99 price tag and I don't even like tequila to begin with.

It's all about keeping food costs under the Prime Directive of 30%...and charging the customer as hard as you can.

There are exceptions though.

Cedar Street in Sturbridge, MA surprised me. The prices do tend to kick you in the balls but it's not like Menton's in Boston...where the check can easily rise to $300, up that to $500 if you want wine. What was I doing in an up$cale restaurant knowing I'm a cheap, skinflint Yankee? Easy answer. I didn't have to pay! The Worcester Telegram paid! One of the friends I've had along the way was their food/wine critic and he was allowed to take along one person when he visited various middle Massachusetts restaurants. His job wasn't to crucify these places as they liked to buy advertising space in the Telegram, so every review was 3 stars or up. Only one place was a Choke 'n' Puke and they got three stars too.

Cedar Street was one restaurant where the claim to understand food actually was true. The combinations of foods/flavors to produce a first, second and cumulative, special third flavor actually occurred. I thought one offering, a vegetable terrine, would be as boring as cut grass. I was wrong. The thing went off in my mouth like a hand grenade and it wasn't due to spices either. It was the various veggies they combined together to get that effect.

I forget what the name was of what I had, Camel ala Red Sea but it was some middle eastern meat that was done well. If I wanted strange, foreign flavors, I got them in this dish. Most dishes, their ingredients, tend to sum themselves up into a final tally. It tastes like this. When you can prepare it so that every ingredient has it's time on your tongue, like a stage, then walks off, one after another, is something to experience. That dish was like this.

Cedar Street won it's five stars from my friend.

By the way, want to get excellent service in a place? Whip out a pocket notebook and scribble anything on it while you are being served and as you eat. The servers will run back to the kitchen to report there's a food critic there.
While we were at Cedar Street, Rick, the Telegram critic, tried to hide his note taking but was busted by one of the young waitresses who badly tried to hide her “Oh, I have to go the the kitchen to pick up an order” and alerted the chef. The service after that went up 300%.

Since he was busted, Rick went to the kitchen afterwards to tell the chef there were no worries, the chef scored the five stars anyway.



Know what I think is another Five Star place? House of Pizza on Division St in Pawtucket. A proper pizza, when tilted, must have it's grease slowly run across the top. Also, you better see them making piles of fresh dough every day. Yelling at the customers in Greek helps too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment